Monday, April 19, 2010

Bumps and Prayers

With the birth of my boys, I knew there would be days (and maybe nights) spent in the emergency room. But when it happens, it still makes my heart skip beats...

I got the call from school Wednesday morning - Jace was playing chase on the playground, had tripped and hit his head on a piece of metal on a picnic table. I needed to get him and take him to the doctor for stiches. The drive to school consisted of several phone calls between Ms. H, the most amazing assistant in the elementary office, the pediatrition's office, and of course Mr. H at work.

Let me butt in here and just say that we LOVE Jace's school. During this whole incident, there were so many people involved in taking care of our little man, from his teacher staying calm and getting him to the nurse, to the nurse getting the bleeding to stop, to the entire principle's office directing kids to get out of the way (the high schooler's were changing classes when I got there), staying with Samuel in the car, and leading me to the nurse's office (unbelieveble I hadn't been there yet!).

As soon as my little man saw me he burst into tears, which made ME want to sob right along with him - it is sooooo hard seeing your child in pain. The nurse told me - get right to the hospital and don't peek under the bandage! Jace was so brave and I'm so proud of him. Once we got to the emergency room and into triage I got a glimps at the wound... and oh my GOODNESS! It was an awful-looking, PAINful-looking gash. We were sent to an exam room complete with television and Jace calmed right down.

Unfortunately, it took over two hours for the doctor to see Jace, by which time Samuel and I had already departed, leaving Jace in Brian's capable hands. Fortunately, the wound was clean and straight enough that they were able to do the "glue" stiches, which mean less of a scar.

Here's our brave little man...



Now, here is some backstory on how amazing our Lord is...

While we were driving to the emergency room we prayed for healing of the wound, and for peace and calmness for both Jace and myself. We also prayed for the children who were there with Jace when it happened - for them to have peace and comfort in what they saw.

While we were at the hospital waiting, Jace's teacher called to see how he was doing and shared this story. When Jace hit his head, there was a LOT of blood - to the point that it really scared the teachers even though they knew that head wounds = lots of blood. The amount of blood was great. As soon as it happened, several little girls in Jace's class and the other K5 class immediatly sat in a circle to pray for him. All during the rest of the day, the two classes prayed at different times for him to be brave and for him to not have any pain. That evening, his teacher went to church and her entire church prayed for Jace.

Let me tell you - PRAISE GOD and those prayers WORKED! After the initial jitters at the hospital, Jace has had NO problems, NO pain and NO issues with his head. At his follow-up visit with his Pediatrition that Friday, she was amazed at how well he looked considering the force of the hit. She said that he should have been all bruised up and swollen - but he wasn't. I told her he has been covered in prayer. God is amazing isn't he?!

And the next day at school Jace was considered a little superstar and everyone wanted to see how he was doing, even the "big" kids. They all heard what happened (it's a small school) and wanted to make sure he was okay :)

One last photo for your enjoyment - Mr. H thought it would be funny to show "what really happened." Hehe!



Hug your kids and pray over them! And may God Bless you as he has blessed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment