Friday, February 5, 2010

A Day of Learning

Mr. Jace was out of school today and Brian had to work so the boys and I headed out into unknown territory… the Science Museum! It was a nice little place with an outdoor area and planetarium and we hung out for a couple hours before I got tired of chasing Mr. Samuel.

(*there is supposed to be a photo here but for the life of me I can't get it posted!)

As we were leaving there were some “movies” playing in the auditorium so we decided to check them out. It started out okay, showing a documentary of the largest known creature to walk the Earth - you know that leaf-eating dinosaur with the long tail.

We sat down in front and settled in, sharing the theater with two dads and two other young children about 4 or 5. Suddenly, before I knew what was happening, the documentary took a frightful turn and we were watching the mating habits of these large creatures!

The narration went something like, “The female tolerates the male’s advance as he rubs his body the length of hers and she gets ready to accept him.” I sit up straighter in my seat thinking SURELY they aren’t going to show what I think they’re going to show…

“This is a dangerous time for the female as she must take up to 5 tons of additional weight on her back.”

AAAAAAHHHHH! As the image of the male dino mounting the female appears on the gi-normous screen 10 feet from us, I turn to one of the dads and as our eyes lock in mirrored horror HIS little girl says in all innocence, “What are they doing Daddy?”

What are they doing? The three adults in the room are sitting rigid and uncomfortably silent waiting for the “scene” to pass. It exits quickly as does the audience… Jace still hasn’t asked me about it – THANK GOODNESS – and I dread the day that he is old enough to have this conversation for real, with his DAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment