Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A New Toy

I've been really wanting to expand my photography possibilities lately. Each time I find myself in a situation that requires me to go all McGyver to get the shot I dream of the products that are actually designed for that shoot.

One recent example of this was during our trip to Alabama. Lenora, Katie and I had schemed for weeks on doing a full-family photo shoot, all TEN of us. To say I was excited was an understatement, I was drooling in anticipation! We plotted and shopped and picked out just the right combination of outfits for each person in the photo to coordinate and waited for Tuesday. And when Tuesday arrived, it rained. Boo.

Of course, Brian and I had already loaded the kids and the mounds of stuff required for three boys and arrived at Katie's house (the rondevu point) by the time the whole thing was called off and we were dissapointed. Let me rephrase that actually, Katie and I were disappointed, the boys - big and little - were thrilled to be released from the horrors of a photographic hour of "being good." 

So we did the next best thing. We transformed Michael and Katie's living room into a little studio and shot the kids. It was great. And we got some sweet little shots. It was in this impromptu studio that I was really wishing for an actual studio set up. I'd looked at them before but the time and money just never worked out. We made out little studio work with pulled curtains and a "light man" holding the floor lamp at just the right height and angle. It was fun and Katie and I were a hot mess when it was all over! 

Here's a shot from that session. Ugh the shadows. 


So my point is that I REALLY wanted a studio, the whole shabang, lights, stands and a backdrop. I was tired of using the makeshift 100 watt bulbs and utility lamps, or a floor lamp with a human tripod, to capture the best images. I also was in a crunch. A friend had asked for some indoor head shots and I really wanted to look somewhat like I knew what I was doing - as opposed to Brian's unit Christmas party where I showed up with my utility light get-up!

When we got home that next week I sent an e-mail over to Gina to ask what she had and where she got hers because by golly I was getting a studio! Imagine my surprise and delight when she e-mailed me back the specifics along with the news that she was selling hers!!! Yippee! A deal was struck and a few days later the studio was mine. :) 

You know what it's like when a child gets a new toy? Well that was me with the new studio. I had the whole front room rearranged and set up for several days, practicing on any face that dared walk in front of my camera (don't let it fool you, they loved it). 



 (WOWza he is my Sexy Man!!)

I was even able to figure out the lights well enough to pull out some sweet photos of our friend, who also happens to be a fellow Coastie.


I tell ya, I'm feeling a little glamorous and a lotta professional right now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment